Cart Total: 0
Related Teacher Tools Takeout Items
Developing Child with Unilateral Hearing Loss
$19.00 – $35.00
According to EHDI data from the Centers for Disease Control, 20%-30% of all infants diagnosed with hearing loss have unilateral hearing loss. The result is hundreds of families of babies with unilateral hearing loss who are seeking assistance to understand what the hearing loss may mean to their child’s future and to receive direction on how they can best influence their child’s success. Due to the increased in identification of infants with unilateral hearing loss, early intervention service providers who have long experience in serving children who are bilaterally deaf or hard of hearing have struggled with how to appropriately serve these children and their families as their needs are not the same as children with hearing loss in both ears. We are very pleased to present the materials below as they are unique in their attention to providing information specifically for families of children with unilateral hearing loss.
What is The Developing Child with Hearing Loss?
A step-by-step Guide to Early Intervention for children with UHL.
The early intervention material is based on a 100-slide PowerPoint Presentation that explains what should be discussed at each of the first 5 or so early intervention sessions along with family-friendly information to address each key point. Handouts have been drawn from the slide groups to serve as a summary of key concepts. The 60-page guide also includes specific information for pediatric or educational audiologists to refer to after diagnosis.
Included in the Guide for Early Intervention Providers
- A summary of research that supports why there is concern over the development of children with unilateral hearing loss.
- Guidance for early intervention providers including step-by-step presentation of information and valuable handouts to support your discussions of these topics:
- Making the case that unilateral hearing loss is significant to listening
- Developing effective interaction skills in everyday activities
- Addressing behavior and social development
- Preparing for school success
- Also includes guidance for pediatric or educational audiologists to provide appropriate support and information to influence family attitudes toward the importance of unilateral hearing loss.
Materials were designed to support many varied intervention styles:
- 3-hole punched, 60-page guide with heavy plastic covers to allow you to use your own notebook and add other pages
- OR a digital version of the 60-page Guide (no printed Guide) AND
- 15 color Discussion Handouts are included in the Guide to accompany topics focused on at each session AND are also provided as single downloadable pdf files for you to print off to share with families. See topics at bottom.
- Downloadable pdf file of 100-slide PowerPoint to use on your iPad or media tablet as you work with familie OR you can print the specific slides you want to accompany the handouts and add them to your Guide notebook.
- 10 additional downloadable pdf resource files to add to your notebook and refer to as you discuss with families and/or to print off as additional handouts for families. See the list of Additional Resource Materials at bottom.
- A total of 26 downloadable files are included with the printed 60-page Guide
Note: In downloading the files that come with this product you are agreeing to abide by the terms of a limited use license, meaning it is only for use by you with your caseload. It is not legal to share downloaded files for others to use .
- Families often have a hard time believing that there is any impact when a person has hearing loss in only one ear. Listening is believing! One strategy presented in The Developing Child with Unilateral Hearing Loss asks the parents to listen with an earplug in one ear. Having earplugs on hand also helps to effectively demonstrate the effects of bilateral mild hearing loss on listening! Although available at many drug, sporting goods and large department stores, Supporting Success provides earplugs for sale for the convenience of busy professionals! Each pair wrapped separately. Sold for only $0.45 each! Noise reduction rating of 33 dB.
Printed 60-page Early Intervention Guide + 25 digital files + 100-slide pdf PPT (individual use) $35.00 + S/H
- This is a restricted use license for a single individual to copy/print/distribute the materials to serve only the families on his/her caseload. The printed guide will come with a coupon code to allow download of the Discussion Handouts, Additional Resources and pdf of the 100-slide PPT presentation.
Downloadable 60-page Early Intervention Guide +25 digital files + 100-slide pdf PPT (individual use) $19.00
- This is a restricted use license for a single individual to print/distribute the digital materials to serve only the families on his/her caseload.
Discussion Handouts to Share with Families
- AN UNEXPECTED DIAGNOSIS
- EARS WORK TOGETHER
- EXPERIENCING UNILATERAL HEARING LOSS
- HEARING DOES NOT ALWAYS STAY THE SAME
- LISTENING FROM A DISTANCE
- LISTENING IN BACKGROUND NOISE
- POTENTIAL IMPACT ON LANGUAGE LEARNING
- FOSTERING LANGUAGE LEARNING
- POTENTIAL IMPACT ON BEHAVIOR
- WHAT TO DO – CHOICES
- CONSIDERING HEARING AID USE
- EVALUATING HEARING AID USE
- LANGUAGE EVERYDAY AND EVERYWHERE
- WHAT TO DO – GET HELP!
Additional Resource Materials to Share with Families (downloadable pdf files)
- Children’s Home Inventory of Listening Difficulties (Family CHILD)
- Early Listening Function (ELF)
- Hearing Aid Listening Check Instructions
- Hearing Loss in One Ear
- Improving Your Child’s Social Skills
- Relationship of Hearing Loss to Listening and Learning Needs: Unilateral Hearing Loss
- Sequence of Auditory, Language and Speech Development for Infants & Toddlers
- Starting School LIFE (Listening Inventory For Education)
- Unilateral Hearing Loss Referral Pamphlet
Related Teacher Tools Takeout Items