Assessment of Story Comprehension
Identify listening comprehension ability in preschoolers!
A fast and reliable tool to test the comprehension skills of young learners, ages 3-5 years.
Great for progress monitoring too!
Do you love the OPUS – Oral Passage Understanding Scale for your school-age students? The ASC provides similar information for students in Pre-K and Kindergarten.
The ASC has 6 forms, each of which include:
- a teacher script with a brief story
- followed by eight literal and inferential comprehension questions
- including one question that asks the child to infer the meaning of a vocabulary word used in the story.
The ASC manual includes
- an introduction to the tool, its development, and its supporting research
- detailed administration guidelines, including sample schedules for administering the ASC
- general and item specific scoring guidelines
- frequently asked scoring questions, including examples of how to score ambiguous responses
- fidelity checklists and guidance on establishing and maintaining reliability
- a guide to interpreting scores, including typical score ranges for children ages 3–4 and 4–5
- two practice sets of materials for use in training examiners
Takes only about 3 minutes to administer and 1 minute to score. ©2019 PPT description
Overall the ASC was easy to give. The student has to come up with the answer and there are no visuals. I like that the manual has a nice scoring guide in the back to assist in determining HOW to score the student. There are also several examples of scored assessments. The student I assessed today only scored 7 out of 17. The ASC would be a good progress monitoring tool to assess three times a year. This student was unable to make predictions based on the title. She scored 3 points out of 6 on the fact-based questions. She scored 3 out of 6 on the inference questions. She was unable to give a definition of the vocabulary word, even with it used 3x in the text. When given a choice, she was able to determine the meaning of the word. This is a student who is six years old, so it definitely points to some issues. A – year-old who scores below 11 should receive intervention based on the manual, and this student scored a 7 and she is six years old! Educational Diagnostician for DHH Students – Texas
Chapter 1: Introduction to the Assessment of Story Comprehension (ASC)
Language and Reading Comprehension
Purposes of the ASC and Curriculum-Based Measurement
Organization of the ASC Manual
Chapter 2: Overview of the Assessment of Story Comprehension (ASC)
What Is the ASC?
Chapter 3: Administering the Assessment of Story Comprehension (ASC)
Qualifications and Training of Examiners
Frequency and Timing of the ASC
Materials and Setting
Building Rapport and Managing Behaviors
Specific Administration Guidelines
Chapter 4: Scoring the Assessment of Story Comprehension (ASC)
Terms to Know
General Rules and Scoring Tips
Scoring Tips by Item
Frequently Asked Scoring Questions
Establishing and Maintaining Scoring Reliability
Appendix: Extended Scoring Guides
Chapter 5: Using the Results of the Assessment of Story Comprehension (ASC)
Interpretation of ASC scores
Linking to Intervention
Appendix A: Basic Scoring Guides
Appendix B: Fidelity Checklists
Appendix C: Practice Sets 1 and 2