Students with hearing loss all too often have deficits in how appropriately they communicate with others. It is typical for them to have pragmatic language delays that impact social interactions, sometimes in a subtle manner.
Here is a developmental, evidence-based program for social language skills. This program is based on the results of the Social Language Development Test Elementary, research, and practical experience. Students learn to recognize, understand, and successfully deal with positive and negative social situations. Units of the book are arranged in order of general skill complexity and development.
Students focus on specific social language skills while using the activity sheets for discussion; sharing related personal experiences; and scripting, if necessary. Scene illustrations segue into role-playing. The need for writing is minimal.
Specific skills addressed include:
Interpretation of facial expressions, gestures, and nonverbal language
- compare and contrast facial expressions
- interpret facial expressions and gestures appropriately
- understand the vocabulary for describing and interpreting emotions
- pay attention to relevant details and ignore irrelevant ones
- use context, body language, and other clues to make reasonable inferences
- identify problems
- predict the consequences and choose the best solution
- evaluate the results
- observe details
- ifferentiate important from unimportant details
- use logic
- think about how others might feel
- understand how friends act toward each other
- handle difficult social situations appropriately
- support friends and preserve friendships
- how to show respect to peers, siblings, and adults
- identify the qualities of a good friend
- disagree tactfully
- seek mutual resolutions to problems
- use persuasion effectively
Reading between the lines
- interpret nonverbal communication, sarcasm, and tone of voice
- the use of vague communication
To see more of this product’s contents:
184 pages • 8.5 x 11, softcover • ©2009
Supporting Success is happy to offer this product from ProEd/Linguasystems Publications.