Interact-AS: Set-up Options and Computer requirements
This YouTube video, made by Mike Massine, explains how Interact-AS works and what it takes for it to be a successful accommodation. Mike, who is an Interact-AS Customer Support Consultant, works with school districts to identify what it takes to allow THEIR student to be successful in using Interact-AS. Please take the time to watch the video.
Questions about how Interact-AS will work in your situation? Wondering about help getting started once you order the software?
Mike Massine is an expert on using Interact-AS in classrooms. He will make sure you are ordering the right items, and after your purchase he will work with you to show you how the system works and to optimize it for your student. He can be reached at 888-963-8991 or by emailing email@example.com
The support team at Auditory Sciences is also ready to help. You can reach them by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or call 507-645-8924.
There are 4 Common Options for Configuring Interact-AS
- Typical Configuration. The teacher wears the Professional Classroom Headset Microphone (available here) which connects wirelessly to the student’s tablet PC or laptop for viewable captions. This setup is all that is needed when captioning, including typed and/or recorded lecture notes, is the student’s primary accommodation.
- Add an Audio Streamer. In this set up an Audio Streamer device (such as Phonak’s ComPilot) is added to the above system. In this configuration the audio from the Professional Headset Microphone is also streamed to the student’s hearing aid or CI.
- Include an Existing FM System. If the student is already using an FM system, they can continue using it. In this configuration the Professional Classroom Headset is used for the captioning, and the existing FM system is used by the student in the same manner it always has been used.
- Include an FM System and/or a Pass-around Microphone. In this setup, a mixer (such as Phonak’s MultiMedia Hub) streams audio from multiple microphones (note that Interact-AS can only caption one audio source at any given moment) to the tablet PC or laptop for viewable captions, and also streams audio to the student’s FM receivers.
Additional Option: The current personal FM/DM transmitter is also used as the microphone for captioning. This is NOT a recommended scenario because (a) accuracy of captioning is substantially less as DM/FM transmitters are not optimized for this purpose, (b) implementing audio + captioning using one microphone is often complicated and requires substantial planning, trial, consultation and especially time on the part of the point person at the school district who will do much trial and error. Success depends on a student’s needs/capabilities/other accommodations. Although there is some customer support available for this option, the troubleshooting of the implementation will still fall to an extensively involved local contact.
Interact-AS runs directly on the student’s computer, no internet connection is needed. However, it is a serious number cruncher. Having a computer that can handle the load is an important part of configuring a successful system. Most newer Windows-based computers (such as Microsoft’s Surface Pro tablets) meet the recommended specifications, but please read the specifications below. As always, if you have questions let us know, we’ll be glad to help.
- Windows 7, 8 (not RT), 8.1 or 10 (not Mac)
- An Intel i7 Core Processor with 8 GB of RAM is recommended
- A newer i5 processor with 4 GB of RAM meets minimum specifications (the faster the processor the higher the accuracy of the captioning)
- An available USB port (for the microphone connection)
Does it run on a Mac? Interact-AS is not designed to run on Apple devices, however, some schools are successfully running Interact-AS using one of the various Windows emulators such as Parallels or Boot Camp. Technical support is not available for Interact-AS if running on an emulator for Mac.
Interact-AS is software you install on one computer
Interact-AS is licensed on a permanent basis for a single PC. There are no annual charges or subscription fees. A permanent license allows for an unlimited number of user accounts thus allowing the PC to be used by multiple students and many teachers.
Professional High Performance Classroom Headset Microphone System Go to Pricing
Microphones must be placed within 1″ of the mouth for best accuracy. Listen to this audio demonstration to see why.
The High Performance Classroom Headset Microphone was designed specifically to achieve optimal accuracy with Interact-AS speech-to-text software. This is also the option to select when multiple people (e.g. multiple classroom teachers) will be using the wireless microphones for one student using Interact-AS captioning software.
Includes headset with noise cancelling boom microphone, belt-worn wireless FM transmitter pack with mute button, recharging station, and a customized cable to connect the wireless receiver to the analog port of the student’s computer or media device. Transmitter and receiver packs are very small (2.3″ x 1.7″ x 0.5″).
Additional Professional Classroom Microphone Headsets are available. When passing the microphone system from teacher to teacher, some individuals prefer their own headset microphone. For use with the Professional Classroom Headset Microphone System.