Whether your students are primarily auditory learners, visual learners or a combination – learning vocabulary is still a need. Develop language in a fun way that provides ongoing structure with lessons for the whole year!
Ages: 5-8 Grades: K-3
Teach the vocabulary of seasonal events and activities. Entertaining Brennan Bear stars in easy-to-use classroom lessons that also develop language and listening skills.
Outcomes: Build receptive and expressive vocabulary and listen for vocabulary while following directions.
There are two themed units for each month from September through May. A monthly parent note with take-home activities reinforces the vocabulary learned at school. Each unit targets vocabulary words in a four-lesson progression:
Lesson 1 Introduce the ten-word vocabulary and the full-page, themed illustration of Brennan Bear. Play the mystery word guessing game.
Lesson 2 Read the Brennan Bear story, emphasizing the unit vocabulary words. Children listen for the vocabulary words and answer story comprehension questions.
Lesson 3 Children complete a fun, hands-on activity that reinforces the theme’s vocabulary words. The activities require a minimum of materials and some preparation time.
Lesson 4 This one-page activity has children listen to and follow directions that contain the themed vocabulary words.
Listening for Vocabulary All Year ‘Round $43.00 + S/H
Children add 180 relevant words to their vocabulary. Some of the themes and target words are:
- School —backpack, cafeteria, principal, supplies, and more
- Football —bleachers, helmet, referee, stadium, and more
- Thanksgiving —cranberries, Mayflower, chief, buckle, and more
- Winter —parka, penguin, snowdrift, snowshoes, and more
- Basketball —dribble, hoop, scoreboard, court, and more
- Valentine’s Day —arrow, Cupid, mailbox, envelope, and more
- Patrick’s Day —bagpipe, leprechaun, shamrock, rainbow, and more
- Baseball —batter, dugout, diamond, umpire, and more
- Gardening —hoe, soil, sprout, weeds, and more
Copyright © 1992; Components 196 pages