The new Impact of Hearing Loss on Listening, Learning, and Social Interactions included in the Teacher Inservice Combo provides a visual example of how various levels of hearing loss fragments speech and describes the impact of a smaller listening bubble. The Impact of Hearing Loss handouts are part of the 12 downloadable handouts and checklists (including fillable SIFTERs!). A great deal of information at a great price – especially through September! 30 pages of resources not found on the website!
What makes this new Impact of Hearing Loss on Listening, Learning, and Social Interactions handout different from the old/free Relationship of Hearing Loss to Listening and Learning?
- The sections of possible impact on understanding, possible social/emotional impact, and potential educational accommodations have been thoroughly revised.
- Audibility of speech sounds for soft speech (35 dB), conversational speech (45 dB), and teacher speech (50 dB) have been included. A percent audibility is specified as are missing or audible speech sounds.
- An example of fragmented listening is provided via a paragraph of instructions with parts of speech eliminated based on decreased audibility.
- Possible listening challenges in school have been included, derived from the LIFE-R Student Appraisal. You can either check off the items that the student has identified as challenges, or leave them as is to raise awareness of difficult listening situations.
- The footnote contains a check off of important teacher accommodations that you can review to reinforce the necessary accommodations specified in the student’s IEP or 504 Plan.
- An instruction sheet has been included with suggestions for use with TODAY’S STUDENTS WITH HEARING LOSS!
What else comes in the Teacher Inservice Combo along with the newly revised Impact of Hearing Loss handout?
The Teacher Inservice Combo is fully digital and includes the following pdf handouts:
- Impact of Hearing Loss on Listening, Learning, and Social Interactions (5 pages)
- Emailable, computer fillable SIFTERs (Preschool, Elementary, Secondary) (6 pages)
- Emailable, computer fillable LIFE-R Teacher Appraisal (2 pages)
- Emailable, computer fillable Access to Curriculum Inventory (ATCI) for General Education Teacher (3 pages)
- Children with Hearing Loss Miss More Than You Think (1 page)
- Listening Comprehension Exercise – Mother’s Aprons (1 page)
- Barriers to Listening – Visual analogies of listening in noise, reverberation, and distance (5 pages)
- Student Listening Challenges – Understanding the Missing Pieces (1 page)
- Attitude is Caught, Not Taught (teacher version) (1 page)
- Hearing Aid/Cochlear Implant Monitoring and the Law (1 page)
- Hearing Aid Monitoring – An Important Daily Activity (4 pages)
- Emailable Tips for Teachers (Early Childhood + K-12) Word version (15 pages)
All 12 Inservice-related Materials in DIGITAL DOWNLOAD Format for only $39.00